Saturday, March 3, 2012

Beautiful Merida!

Finally got a wifi connection in our house! The very nice lady Ingrid next door is allowing me to piggy back on hers....lovely lady of dutch descent and recently of Northern California.

Ok so the first night here was a bit of a nightmare...we got here at 2pm and went straight to Georgia's house who is very well renowned artist here in Merida.  Very nice lady who owns the house we are staying in.  So we rested for a few hours and by the way love the house! Old colonial 30 foot high ceilings, nothing too fancy but very very comfortable and large.

We headed out for the evening without a clue as to where we were going...headed to the Grand Plaza and immediately stopped for a drink at the main cafeteria with outdoor seating on the plaza, La Via Olympia, I believe.  This is also the tourist information place as well and got some good info, but if you don't know where you are going its useless....we are not map people...might be the main problem! 

We wandered and wandered and we were like "where in the hell are all the restaurants?  Now coming from Isla Mujeres where there is food on every corner, we are just a bit spoiled, but for a big city I still don't think it has the conglomeration of restaurants like a NYC or Paris...so we ended up walking back towards our house.  The house is in the centro historico but about  8 blocks to the square so we headed the other way.   All the way bickering about which way to go..."no we should have taken a left", "I told you that was the wrong way to go"...must have been quite a sight...hee hee..

After walking in one place and sitting down before I saw a floor to ceiling poster of naked women shaking their booty, and nothing but men in there staring...Graham had his cervesa and we made a quick exit!

We ended up at La Choperia, which is an agrentinian restaurant where we had chicken and pasta...idiota!  It was good though...hahaha...Graham had the fettucine chicken alfredo and I had paillards of chicken with rice and veggies...it was really really good and we were quite happy until we saw the large skewers of meat being served at the next table...another gringo mistake! We did manage to chat to the two women who were eating the huge portions of meat on a skewer and lo and behold one of the women is from Alki beach!

Walked home and passed out under our fans...it was very comfortable and slept like a rock.  

Its getting better!  Today we got up early as it was going to be 96 degrees and 88% humidty, we are catching on!  Went to the local mercado Santiago Market where they have fruit and vegetable stalls and also loads of food booths...hit the jackpot!

We went straight to the chicharon (pork guy) and ordered two pulled pork with crackling tortas served with a pico de gallo and a wonderful onion/jalepeno sauce with vinegar....OMG...these sandwiches were to die for! I gave Graham my crackling...again stupido!  I tasted it and was the best I have ever tasted!  Two torta's $35 peso's!! That's less then $1.50 each..on a crusty roll...I an see where we are going to be regulars, have to try the empanda's and they had a wonderful looking tripe soup..I know, I know but I have seen Anthony Bourdain eat this so many times I at least want to try it.  The guy was digging the ladle in it and shoved it under my nose...it smelled like heaven...

We leave and walk to the Grand Plaza square where we go back to the outside cafe and have a drink.  I ordered a Frio Cafe...oh my lord it was muy grande and so large I couldn't see over it!  Graham said to the waiter., "see not everthing in America is bigger"  He was laughing his head off....We walked around after and bought myself some shoes as two pairs have broken since I have been in Mexico...all that walking you see.

Here are some pics of the day....









1 comment:

  1. We were probably in Merida at the same time as you. We spent a week there and a week on Isla. We love Merida and the pictures are making me homesick already. I don't love the narrow sidewalks in the Centro area though, as I have some issues walking and sometimes I have to jump out of the way of other pedestrians coming at me! Then again I'm not a city dweller and not used to always walking in the city. After three trips to Merida I still have not been to Santiago Park. I just love all the little loncherias everywhere in the city.

    ReplyDelete